Please read this job description carefully and click the button at the bottom of the page to complete the application. Applications have been closed as of 2/21 to be reviewed by our board.
Orphan Kitten Club (OKC) is a national nonprofit creating innovative programs that save the lives of the tiniest and most vulnerable felines. We seek a qualified full-time Community Programs Coordinator in San Diego, California. We are a small, impactful team of dedicated animal advocates, and we build innovative local and national programs that save the lives of the tiniest and most vulnerable felines. We hope to hire an enthusiastic, passionate person who is able to work effectively and collaboratively in a non-corporate environment, coordinating all aspects of our local programs including kitten adoptions, community cat sterilization, veterinary collaboration, volunteer coordination, special events, and administrative support. This position reports to the Program Director.
Employee Type: Full-Time (40 hours/week)
Compensation: $50,000-$58,000 annual salary commensurate with experience
Location: This is an on-site position in East County, San Diego, CA.
Employee will have the option to work from home 1 day per week after 90 days.
- 40 hours per week working from our Orphan Kitten Club headquarters in East County, San Diego; option to work from home once a week after 90 days of employment.
- Adoptions: This role will coordinate adoptions, including recruiting and interviewing prospective adopters, providing adoption counseling, scheduling adoptions, following up with foster-to-adopt contracts, and entering data into Shelter Luv.
- Volunteer Coordination: This role will coordinate all aspects of our local volunteer program including recruitment, training, scheduling, volunteer recognition, and being the point of contact for volunteer inquiries.
- Community Cats: This role directly oversees the volunteer Full Circle Coordinator to ensure the success of our community cat sterilization program.
- Veterinary Coordination: This role coordinates veterinary care, including scheduling vet appointments, medical inventory, and communicating with fosters and adopters.
- Special Events: This role will occasionally organize simple community outreach events, such as tabling at local markets or conventions.
- Administrative Support: This role coordinates volunteers to fulfill administrative needs including donor mailings.
- Must live in San Diego, CA
- Candidate should have at least 1 year of paid or volunteer experience with animals in a shelter, rescue, foster, or veterinary setting.
- Enthusiasm for animal welfare is required! The ideal candidate will be driven and passionate about the welfare of kittens, and have a basic understanding of issues pertaining to cats and kittens.
- This position requires the employee to have strong people skills, and is best suited for someone who enjoys working with humans as much as they enjoy working with animals. Must be comfortable communicating with adopters, volunteers, and members of the community in an effective and confident manner, and must be able to positively engage with people of various backgrounds and cultures.
- Must be organized, and comfortable with administrative tasks such as data entry, updates to adoption webpage, and mail merging; training will be made available as needed.
- Ideal candidate should be creative, solutions-oriented, and comfortable taking ownership of tasks.
As an organization building a safer world for animals, we believe it is mission-critical to extend the same compassion, consideration, and kindness to the humans behind the work. We believe that animal welfare should be a place where people’s voices are heard and valued, and that a sense of camaraderie and work/life balance leads to long-term success. We aim to create an environment in which respectful candor and true collaboration drive us toward collective success in our mission, and are committed to creating a safe, inclusive, diverse, and equitable space where humans and animals alike can thrive.
As a growing organization, we provide a space where team members can bring their own ideas to the table, and truly shape the future of our impact in the community. This role is a great fit for a motivated and passionate advocate looking to build an impactful career in animal welfare.
Our Core Values
- FOCUSED. We have a singular purpose to serve young kittens and organizations that support them.
- PROGRESSIVE. We provide high quality, innovative care and we value forward-thinking approaches to kitten welfare.
- POSITIVE. We deliver a hopeful message because we truly believe that our approach is making a difference.
- COLLABORATIVE. We support our internal team and external partners in their efforts to advance kitten welfare.
- IMPACTFUL. We approach the problem at an individual and community level to make a significant difference for kittens.
OKC provides equal employment opportunities without regard to age, ancestry, color, creed, mental or physical disability, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially people of color, women, immigrants, people of all abilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. Top applicants might not have expertise related to every qualification listed above, but will bring relevant experience, plus a willingness to learn and excel at the others. A core qualification for this position is that you must advocate for and deeply value equity and inclusion.