Please read this job description carefully and click the button at the bottom of the page to complete the application. This job posting is now closed as of 2/28. Applications will be reviewed by our board.
Orphan Kitten Club (OKC) is a national nonprofit creating innovative programs that save the lives of the tiniest and most vulnerable felines. We are seeking a qualified full-time Managing Director for a remote, on-site or hybrid position. We hope to recruit a forward-thinking, experienced nonprofit professional who will steer our organization’s operations, communications, and development, enabling us to make an even greater impact in our community and nationwide. The Managing Director oversees a staff of two and reports to the Board President.
This is the perfect opportunity for a collaborative leader to make a significant impact at an organization dedicated to saving the lives of the tiniest felines. OKC is a team that cares deeply about each other and the work we are doing, and the team is excited to bring on a Managing Director to help shape the future of the organization and take it to the next level. Since its inception 6 years ago, OKC has built a passionate and talented team of highly motivated and gifted staff, partners, and allies. This position offers the right candidate a chance to work in a culture that is creative, innovative, and caring.
Employee Type: Full-Time (40 hours/week)
Compensation: $80,000-90,000 commensurate with experience
Location: Our headquarters is in San Diego, CA. For this position, we are open to remote applicants based on experience and fit. Must be eligible to work in the US.
- 40 hours per week, either remote, on-site, or hybrid.
- Organizational Strategy: Facilitate strategic planning, implementation and goal setting with staff and the Board of Directors and ensure that OKC can successfully fulfill its vision and theory of change.
- Operations: This position oversees all administrative and operational aspects of Orphan Kitten Club, ensuring strong organizational health, regulatory compliance and fiscal responsibility. This includes human resources, database management, and overseeing contractors for state fundraising registrations, audits, payroll, and accounting.
- Development: This position encompasses all aspects of development, including managing our current monthly membership program, generating fundraising appeals, building major donor relationships, and overseeing legacy bequests. Ideal candidate will have the experience and passion to expand our development program and prospect further philanthropic opportunities.
- Communications: This position is responsible for creating a communications calendar, writing and scheduling newsletter and email appeals, interfacing with donors, and collaborating with the Program Director to produce impactful campaigns. This also encompasses gathering and analyzing metrics, evaluating and reporting on campaign engagement.
- Organizational Culture: Foster the organizational culture and promote transparency and collaboration throughout the organization. Provide leadership and management support to all staff. Build relationships with the team to facilitate a caring, collaborative environment.
- 10 years employment history in the nonprofit sector, with at least 5 years in a leadership position, preferred. Ideal candidate will have a background in nonprofit management and fundraising for an organization with more than $1 million in revenue.
- Candidate should be a creative, innovative leader.
- Ideal candidate has a collaborative, solution-focused communication style, and is able to communicate with kindness, empathy and active listening. Ability to set clear goals and expectations, thoughtfully give and receive feedback, encourage a healthy work-life balance, and promote both personal and professional growth.
- Strong project management skills are required. We seek a candidate with the ability to oversee and structure complex projects, plan backwards, and obtain high quality results.
- Active fundraising experience with proven ability to increase revenue. Excellent donor relations skills and understanding of fundraising techniques.
- Must have the ability to ensure compliance with nonprofit laws and regulations.
- Must be highly proficient in using contemporary office software applications; a demonstrated ability to learn new software quickly and objectively. Experience with Salesforce or other CRM technology is required. Must be able and willing to learn GSuite, Classy, Salesforce, Quickbooks and related software.
- Proven experience writing compelling fundraising appeals, newsletters and other external communications for a nonprofit organization. Must have excellent copywriting and editing skills.
- Experience with animal welfare is beneficial but not required. Candidates must share Orphan Kitten Club’s dedication to the cause of animal welfare, and align with our mission, programs, and practices.
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree preferred.
As an organization building a safer world for animals, we believe it is mission-critical to extend the same compassion, consideration, and kindness to the humans behind the work. We believe that animal welfare should be a place where people’s voices are heard and valued, and that a sense of camaraderie and work/life balance leads to long-term success. We aim to create an environment in which respectful candor and true collaboration drive us toward collective success in our mission, and are committed to creating a safe, inclusive, diverse, and equitable space where humans and animals alike can thrive.
As a growing organization, we provide an exciting opportunity for an experienced nonprofit professional to build upon the hard-won impact we are already making, and to be a leader in guiding the future of Orphan Kitten Club and our mission to save the most vulnerable lives.
Our Core Values
- FOCUSED. We have a singular purpose to serve young kittens and organizations that support them.
- PROGRESSIVE. We provide high quality, innovative care and we value forward-thinking approaches to kitten welfare.
- POSITIVE. We deliver a hopeful message because we truly believe that our approach is making a difference.
- COLLABORATIVE. We support our internal team and external partners in their efforts to advance kitten welfare.
- IMPACTFUL. We approach the problem at an individual and community level to make a significant difference for kittens.
OKC provides equal employment opportunities without regard to age, ancestry, color, creed, mental or physical disability, marital status, medical condition, national origin, race, religion, sex, gender, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other consideration made unlawful by federal, state, or local laws. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.
We strongly encourage people from all backgrounds to apply, especially people of color, women, immigrants, people of all abilities, and members of the LGBTQ+ community. Top applicants might not have expertise related to every qualification listed above, but will bring relevant experience, plus a willingness to learn and excel at the others. A core qualification for this position is that you must advocate for and deeply value equity and inclusion.